Homemade scones are such a treat and this version is easy to make. The wholewheat flour adds a slightly nutty flavour and the yoghurt gives them a soft, light texture.
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C. Lightly grease a baking tray and dust with a little cake flour.
2. Mix flours and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Beat egg, yoghurt and oil together.
3. Stir egg mixture into the flour until it just forms a soft dough.
4. Gently press dough out onto a lightly floured surface to about 2 cm thick. Take care not to handle the dough too much.
5. Cut out scones using a small cookie cutter or water glass. Dip the cutter or glass in extra flour if necessary.
6. Place scones on baking tray. The leftover dough can be pressed together and cut into more scones.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
8. Serve with a thin layer of margarine and jam.
1. A pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika can be sprinkled on top for a savoury scone.
This recipe is in Cooking from the heart 1. Download PDF recipe book here.
Copyright © 2012 - 2020 Cooking from the heart. All Rights Reserved.