Chicken curry is a very popular dish, but often uses rich, unhealthy ingredients like ghee (clarified butter) and cream. This version uses buttermilk or yoghurt to give it that creamy consistency.
1. Heat oil in a large pot and fry chicken until golden brown. Spoon out and set aside.
2. In the same pot fry onions, garlic and ginger for a few minutes. Stir in all the spices.
3. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and liquid and simmer for a few minutes.
4. Add chicken, potatoes and salt to sauce and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked.
5. Stir in the buttermilk and serve with small portions of brown rice. Garnish with fresh coriander.
1. Make your own Homemade chicken stock. See recipe here.
2. When cooking rice, make sure you only use ½ tsp salt in the water per cup of uncooked rice.
3. For a milder curry, add 2 apples, cubed and replace chilli powder with mild curry powder.
This recipe is in Cooking from the heart 1. Download PDF recipe book here.
Copyright © 2012 - 2020 Cooking from the heart. All Rights Reserved.