This recipe is in Cooking from the Heart 4
Ready in 1 hour 30 minutes
This is a much-loved traditional dessert. Few things can warm and comfort like a bowlful with homemade vanilla custard. This version is not too sweet and the buttermilk adds a soft texture.
1. Preheat oven to 180 °c and lightly grease a 1,5 litre oven dish with oil.
2. Mix flours and bicarb together.
3. Beat egg, sugar, jam and vanilla until smooth, light and fluffy.
4. Stir buttermilk and butter in a pot over a medium heat until butter has melted. Add the vinegar – the mixture will curdle, but don’t worry.
5. Whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Gradually add the warm buttermilk mixture and beat to form a smooth batter.
6. Pour into oven dish and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
7. Sauce: meanwhile, place sauce ingredients in a small pot. Stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.
8. Prick the hot pudding all over with a fork as soon as it comes out of the oven. Pour hot sauce over and allow to absorb. Return to oven for 5 minutes. Serve hot with homemade custard.
1. Make strong rooibos tea with 1 tea bag in ½ cup (125 ml) boiling water.
2. For a different flavour, substitute the rooibos tea in the sauce for orange juice.
3. When buttermilk is not available: mix 1 cup (250 ml) low-fat milk with 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice. Allow to stand for a few minutes and use as above.
4. Low-sugar homemade custard: make custard with 2 cups (500 ml) low-fat milk, 2 - 3 tbsp (30 - 45 ml) custard powder and 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar by following the instructions on the packaging. Season with vanilla essence and finely grated lemon rind. This serves 6
Serving Size Serves 8