This recipe is in Cooking from the Heart 2
Ready in 30 minutes
These nuts are a great alternative to salty shop-bought versions.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °c and line a baking tray with baking paper or foil.
2. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well to coat the nuts in the oil and spices. Season with pepper.
3. Place on the baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Toss the tray once or twice during the cooking time. Take care not to burn them.
4. Allow to cool and serve about ⅓ cup (80 ml) per person as a snack or sprinkle over a salad for extra crunch.
1. Choose a combination of nuts and seeds like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pecan nuts, peanuts and almonds.
2. Store these nuts in an airtight container for about 1 week.
3. Make a sweeter flavour combination. Substitute spices for 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon, ½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground mixed spice and a pinch of nutmeg. Omit the pepper. Enjoy as a snack or sprinkle over oats or fruit salad for breakfast.
4. Combine the nuts with dried fruit like raisins or cranberries or eat with fresh fruit for a healthy snack.
5. Make these nuts on the stove. Heat oil in the pan and add nuts. Fry until lightly golden brown. Add spices and fry for a few more minutes.