1small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped, or to taste (optional)
45mlchopped fresh coriander or parsley
60mlfinely chopped unsalted peanuts
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
500mleach shredded white and red cabbage (or more white)
1large spinach leaf, shredded
2carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
¼cucumber, quartered and thinly sliced
1medium pineapple, quartered and thinly sliced
1celery stalk with the leaves, thinly sliced
½red or green pepper, seeded, quartered and thinly sliced
This recipe is in Cooking from the Heart 4
Ready in 1 hour
The colours in the salad remind us of the tradition of a special seven colour Sunday lunch – something many South Africans enjoy.
1. Dressing: Stir all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
2. Salad: Mix all the slaw ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over and toss well. Allow salad to stand for 10 - 15 minutes before serving it. This will allow the salad to marinate.
3. Serve slaw as a side dish at a braai.
1. This dressing can be used as a marinade for fish, chicken, pork or veggies.
2. Add toasted coconut to the dressing instead of the peanuts.
3. Serve with steak or leftover braaied chicken in wholewheat rolls or pitas.