Instead of a typical puff pastry, chicken pie can be just as delicious with a homemade pouring batter on top.
1. Place chicken, bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves, salt and water in a large pot. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
2. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Spoon chicken out and remove bones. Keep liquid aside and remove spices, if preferred.
3. Heat oil in the same pot and fry onions and garlic for a few minutes.
4. Add reserved liquid with sago or spaghetti and simmer over a low heat for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
5. Stir in thyme, nutmeg, chicken and veggies and season with lemon juice and pepper.
6. Spoon into an oven dish and preheat the oven to 180 °C.
7. Batter: Combine the dry ingredients. Mix the eggs, oil, buttermilk and water. Stir into the flour mixture until smooth.
8. Pour batter over the filling and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
9. Serve with salad or veggies such as broccoli and butternut.
1. Use the chicken bones for the Homemade stock. See recipe here.
2. Add any veggies of your choice such as carrots, mushrooms or broccoli to the pie filling.
3. Use the tuna pie topping instead of the batter. See recipe here.
This recipe is in Cooking from the heart 1. Download PDF recipe book here.
Copyright © 2012 - 2020 Cooking from the heart. All Rights Reserved.