This is a healthier version of a family favourite. The chicken is cooked in natural seasonings to make its own ‘stock’ which gives the dish a delicious flavour – no need for unhealthy soup powders or ready-made sauces here!
1. Place chicken in a large pot with water and bay leaf. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
2. Simmer with a lid for 1 hour. Spoon out chicken, remove bones and shred meat. Keep liquid aside. Keep cooking liquid aside.
3. Heat oil in the same pot and fry onion, garlic, green and red peppers and mushrooms for a few minutes.
4. Stir in flour until absorbed. Gradually stir in cooking liquid (from chicken) and milk.
5. Simmer until the sauce thickens. Stir in shredded chicken, herbs, salt and season with lemon juice and pepper.
6. Serve with small portions of brown rice and veggies of your choice.
1. If mushrooms are not available substitute with 1 cup of frozen peas, rinsed.
2. Beef stroganoff: Replace cooked chicken with 500 g lean beef strips. Fry the meat first and then continue as from step 3. Prepare the sauce with 1½ cups of milk as you will not have any cooking liquid.
This recipe is in Cooking from the heart 1. Download PDF recipe book here.
Copyright © 2012 - 2020 Cooking from the heart. All Rights Reserved.