Apples and cinnamon are comforting flavours, especially in winter. Swap your custard or ice cream for plain low-fat yoghurt.
1. Pudding: Place apples with 2 tbsp of water and the cinnamon in a pot. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until just tender, but not mushy.
2. Preheat oven to 180 °C. Beat sugar and eggs until well blended. Add oil, milk and yoghurt and mix well.
3. Combine the flours, baking powder and half the cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
4. Beat liquid into the flour mixture to form a smooth batter.
5. Spoon apples into an oven dish and pour batter on top.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
7. Syrup: Meanwhile, place all the ingredients in a small pot and stir over a low heat.
8. Simmer for a few minutes or until slightly thickened.
9. Prick warm pudding with a fork or skewer and pour syrup over. Sprinkle with the rest of the ground cinnamon. Serve warm with plain low-fat yoghurt.
1. Make the pudding with fresh pears as above. Or use a tin of pie apples or peach slices and leave out step 1 and add another 1 tsp ground cinnamon to the batter.
This recipe is in Cooking from the heart 1. Download PDF recipe book here.
Copyright © 2012 - 2020 Cooking from the heart. All Rights Reserved.