Hug Your Heart 2017
Healthy and delicious picnic snack ideas
Date and chocolate balls
Ready in 30 minutes
We all love chocolate, but know that too much is not good for us. In this treat, we combine dark chocolate with dates to make a healthier alternative for a picnic basket or as a sweet treat.
½ x 80 g slab dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1 tbsp (15 ml) cocoa
3 tbsp (45 ml) low-fat milk
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
250 g pitted dates, finely chopped
100 ml desiccated coconut
extra coconut and cocoa to decorate with
- Place chocolate in a glass bowl and melt over gently simmering water. Make sure that the bowl does not touch the water.
- Mix cocoa with some of the milk to form a paste and mix with remaining milk and vanilla. Stir some of the melted chocolate into the milk mixture until smooth. Mix into the warm chocolate.
- Stir in dates and coconut. Allow to cool slightly and then roll into balls. Roll balls into extra coconut or cocoa.
- Allow to cool in the fridge and serve 1-2 balls as a treat with fresh seasonal fruit – berries are delicious with chocolate.
- If packing for a lunch box or picnic treat, make sure that it is kept in a cool place, as they may melt.
- Choose a good quality chocolate and cocoa that is low in added sugar. Check your food labels to make better choices.