Taking a lunch box to school or work can be much healthier than buying meals and unhealthy snacks every day.
Makes 30 small fritters
These are a delicious lunch box filler for adults and kids alike. They are delicious at room temperature and add a portion of starch to the meal.
½ x 410 g tin whole kernel corn, drained
1 x 410 g tin cream style sweetcorn
1 cup (250 ml) wholewheat flour
½ tsp (2,5 ml) baking powder
1 egg, beaten
½ cup (125 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
1 tsp (5 ml) ground mixed spice
½ small onion, finely chopped or grated
2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower or olive oil for frying
- Mix all the ingredients, except the oil, together in a large bowl.
- Heat a thin layer of the oil in a frying pan. Add tablespoonfuls of the mixture to the pan and fry on both sides until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the oil and mixture. Drain on paper towel.
- Allow to cool and pack in a lunch box with a protein of your choice, like a chicken portion or meat balls and fresh ingredients, like salad and fruit.
- These fritters are delicious as a side dish for supper with any meat, chicken or fish.
- Substitute whole kernel corn with tinned lentils. This is a great way to get kids to eat lentils, which are high in fibre and contain protein.
- Pumpkin fritters: Substitute kernel corn and sweetcorn for 2-3 cups cooked and mashed pumpkin or butternut. Fry as above.
- Mixed veggie fritters: Replace the kernel corn with 1 carrot and 1 baby marrow, grated. Fry as above.