Hug Your Heart 2018
Healthy and delicious picnic snack ideas for 2018
Mini meat balls
Recipe adapted from Cooking from the heart 2
Makes 12 – 15 meat balls
500 g lean beef mince
2 tbsp (30 ml) chutney
2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato sauce
2 baby marrows, grated
¼ cup (60 ml) uncooked oats
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp (10 ml) dried mixed herbs
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground coriander
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower or olive oil for frying
- Place all the ingredients, except the oil, in a mixing bowl and mix with your hands until well combined. Season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Shape the mince mixture into small balls using about 2 tbsp (30 ml) of mince per ball.
- Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Fry half of the meat balls until golden brown on both sides.
- Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for a few minutes or until cooked. Spoon out and repeat with remaining meat balls and oil.
- Allow meat balls to cool and pack for a picnic with coleslaw, homemade mealie breads and green veggies. A dipping sauce of your choice, such as sweet chilli sauce, tomato sauce or plain, unsweetened yoghurt will also be delicious.
- When buying sauces like chutney and tomato sauce, read the food labels to make sure you choose a good quality option that is lower in sugar and salt.