Hug Your Heart 2018
Healthy and delicious picnic snack ideas for 2018
Mini mealie breads
Recipe adapted from Cooking from the heart 1
Makes 5-6 mini loaves or 1 large loaf
This is one of those popular South African recipes and is great for a side dish at a braai or as part of a picnic basket.
1 cup (250 ml) coarse mealie meal
2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
½ tsp (2,5 ml) cayenne pepper or paprika or to taste
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
1 cup (250 ml) maas or buttermilk
3 eggs, beaten
¼ cup (60 ml) sunflower oil
1 x 410 g tin cream style sweetcorn
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and lightly grease and line the base of 5-6 mini bread tins (each with about 240 ml capacity) or see tips.
- Place dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the maas or buttermilk, eggs, oil and sweetcorn. Mix into the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon into the bread tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool.
- Pack breads in a picnic basket with coleslaw, mini meat balls or lentil patties and green veggies.
- Use a variety of different shaped or sized tins or ramekins to make interesting shaped breads. A muffin pan also works well. Alternatively bake a big bread in a 1,5 litre bread tin. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Stir ¼ cup grated cheese into the batter or sprinkle half on top.