Hug Your Heart 2018
Healthy and delicious picnic snack ideas for 2018
Mini brown lentil patties
Recipe adapted from Cooking from the heart 1
Makes 15 – 20 patties
½ cup (125 ml) uncooked brown lentils
1 x 410 g tin butter beans, drained
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten
5 tbsp (75 ml) wholewheat or cake flour
1 carrot, grated
1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato sauce
½ tsp (2,5 ml) baking powder
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
2 tsp (10 ml) dried mixed herbs
½ tbsp (7,5 ml) ground coriander
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
black pepper to taste
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower or olive oil
- Place lentils in a pot with enough water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until soft. Drain well and cool.
- Mash lentils and butter beans with a fork or potato masher and mix with the remaining ingredients, except the oil.
- Heat some of the oil in a frying pan. Place small spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and fry over a medium heat. When the top begins to set, turn over and fry until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the oil and mixture.
- Pack in a picnic basket with coleslaw, homemade mealie breads and green veggies. A dipping sauce of your choice, such as sweet chilli sauce, tomato sauce or plain, unsweetened yoghurt will also be delicious.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg or chopped fresh herbs like coriander or parsley to the mixture.
- Add a grated apple instead of the carrot for a different flavour.