Hug Your Heart 2018
Healthy and delicious picnic snack ideas for 2018
Coleslaw with apple & yoghurt
Recipe adapted from Cooking from the heart 1
A coleslaw should be a crunchy, fresh salad. Serve the sauce on the side to keep the veggies and apple crispy.
4 cups (4 x 250 ml) cabbage, finely shredded or grated
2 carrots, coarsely grated
1 apple with the skin, coarsely grated
juice of 1 orange
300 ml plain, unsweetened yoghurt
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
½ tsp (2,5 ml) cumin seeds (optional)
black pepper to taste
- Mix the veggies and apple with the orange juice.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together to form the sauce.
- Pack the coleslaw and the sauce separately for a picnic with the meat balls or lentil patties, homemade mealie bread and green veggies.
- Replace carrots with a thick slice of butternut, grated.
- If preferred, you can add ¼ cup each raisins and unsalted peanuts.
- Replace cumin with garam masala for a different flavour.