Hug Your Heart 2018
Healthy and delicious picnic snack ideas for 2018
Chocolate custard pudding
Recipe adapted from Cooking from the heart 3
This velvety pudding has lots of flavour and contains very little sugar.
1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
3 tbsp (45 ml) cornflour
3 tbsp (45 ml) cocoa powder
¼ tsp (1,2 ml) ground cinnamon
2 cups (500 ml) low-fat milk
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
¼ cup (60 ml) chopped raw almonds
fresh seasonal fruit to serve
- Mix sugar, cornflour, cocoa and cinnamon with a little milk to form a paste.
- Gently heat remaining milk in a small saucepan. Add some warm milk to the paste and stir back into the rest of the milk.
- Stir continuously over a medium heat until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Divide hot mixture into 4 small jars (small bowls or cups also work well). Allow to cool and chill in the fridge.
- Seal jars and pack in a picnic basket to enjoy as a healthier dessert. Sprinkle with chopped nuts and serve with fresh fruit skewered as little kebabs (see tip).
- Prepare fruit kebabs with fresh seasonal fruit like grapes, berries, peaches or nectarines.