Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Ready in 15 minutes
Homemade popcorn is such a treat and the ideal lunch box filler. A healthier alternative to shop-bought salty snacks like crisps, at home you can control how much salt and oil is used.
1 tsp (5 ml) sunflower oil
½ cup (125 ml) popcorn kernels
¼ tsp (1,2 ml) salt
2 tsp (10 ml) dried mixed herbs, origanum or paprika
- Place oil in a large pot with a lid and swirl to coat the base of the pot with the oil.
- Sprinkle the kernels in an even layer on the base of the pot. Cover with a lid and heat over a medium heat.
- When the popcorn kernels begin to pop, don’t leave the pot unattended. When there is more than 2 seconds between each ‘pop’, remove the pot from the heat. Do not remove the lid until the popping stops.
- Mix the salt and herbs or spices and sprinkle over the hot popcorn. Toss through and serve immediately.
- Pack popcorn in your kids’ lunch boxes. Keep in an airtight container or a sealable plastic bag.