Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Homemade ice tea
Serves 6 (2 litres)
Ready in 2 hours 30 minutes (includes cooling time)
This tea is very refreshing and a healthier alternative to fizzy, sugary cold drinks. Keep a jug of this ice tea in the fridge in summer.
8 rooibos tea bags
1 cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
6 thin slices ginger
4 cups (1 litre) boiling water
4 cups (1 litre) 100 % grape, apple or berry juice, chilled
lemon juice to taste
ice cubes, mint leaves, fresh fruit or lemon slices to serve
- Place tea bags, spices and ginger in a large glass jug and pour over boiling water. Stir well and allow to cool for about 2 hours. Remove tea bags, ginger and spices.
- Add juice to the tea and season with lemon juice to taste.
- Serve ice cold with ice and your choice of mint leaves, fruit and lemon.
- When buying fruit juice, remember to read the label and only buy pure or 100 % fruit juice.
- In summer when it’s hot outside, freeze this ice tea in ice cube or ice lolly trays for the kids. This is a good alternative to ice-cream.