Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Baby marrow fritters
Ready in 45 minutes
Baby marrows are very versatile and add extra fibre and flavour to this snack.
1½ cups (375 ml) wholewheat flour
1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk or maas
2 eggs, beaten
4 baby marrows, coarsely grated
6 tbsp (90 ml) grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower or olive oil for frying
- Place dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat buttermilk and eggs together in a separate bowl. Stir buttermilk mixture into the dry mixture until well combined.
- Stir in the baby marrows and cheese and mix to form a thick batter.
- Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan and fry spoonfuls of the mixture until golden brown. Turn over and fry on the other side until golden brown and cooked. Drain on paper towel.
- Repeat with remaining mixture and more oil if necessary. Serve 3 fritters per person as a snack.
- Add a pinch of paprika to the batter, if preferred.
- Add chopped fresh origanum, thyme or even parsley to the mixture.
- Serve these fritters as a snack before a braai instead of crisps.