Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Peanut butter slices
Ready in 40 minutes
Peanut butter is a wonderful baking ingredient. Here it helps to bind the mixture and adds flavour.
2 cups (500 ml) oats
⅓ cup (80 ml) honey
⅓ cup (80 ml) pitted dates, chopped
5 tbsp (75 ml) peanut butter
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup (60 ml) sunflower oil
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon or mixed spice
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and lightly grease an 18 x 30 cm baking tin.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Press mixture into the baking tin in an even layer and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Cut into 20 slices while they are still slightly warm. Allow to cool on a cooling rack and remove from the tin. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Serve 2 slices per person as a snack.
- If pitted dates aren’t available, you can use raisins or dried cranberries.
- Make sure you choose a good quality peanut butter that is lower in salt and sugar. Check the food labels and click here for more detail on reading food labels.