Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Makes 25 – 30
Ready in 45 minutes
Homemade cookies are much better than shop-bought cookies, because you can control what goes into them. These are lower in fat and sugar, making them a healthier alternative.
⅓ cup (80 ml) soft tub margarine or butter
⅓ cup (80 ml) sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
1 tsp (5 ml) finely grated lemon rind
1 cup (250 ml) wholewheat flour
1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
100 ml raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place margarine or butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla and lemon rind and fold in both of the flours and raisins. Stir to form a smooth dough. Roll into balls and place on the baking tray. Press down with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a cooling rack and store in an airtight container. Serve 2-3 small cookies as a snack.
- Use this cookie dough as a base for any cookie. Stir in chocolate chips for a special occasion.
- Add ½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground ginger and 1 tsp (5 ml) ground mixed spice to the dough for a spiced cookie.