Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Lightly roasted nuts
Ready in 30 minutes
These nuts are a great alternative to salty shop-bought versions.
200 g raw unsalted nuts, like almonds or peanuts
1 tbsp (15 ml) canola or olive oil
1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground cumin
½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground cinnamon
black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and line a baking tray with baking paper or foil.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well to coat the nuts in the oil and spices. Season with pepper.
- Place on the baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Toss the tray once or twice during the cooking time. Take care not to burn them.
- Allow to cool and serve about ⅓ cup (80 ml) per person as a snack or sprinkle over a salad for extra crunch.
- Choose a combination of nuts and seeds like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pecan nuts, peanuts and almonds.
- Store these nuts in an airtight container for about 1 week.
- Make a sweeter flavour combination. Substitute spices for 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon, ½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground mixed spice and a pinch of nutmeg. Omit the pepper. Enjoy as a snack or sprinkle over oats or fruit salad for breakfast.
- Combine the nuts with dried fruit like raisins or cranberries or eat with fresh fruit for a healthy snack.
- Make these nuts on the stove. Heat oil in the pan and add nuts. Fry until lightly golden brown. Add spices and fry for a few more minutes.