Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Recipe from Cooking from the heart 2
Serves 4 (Makes 15 bites)
Ready in 45 minutes
These vegetarian bites are packed with flavour and delicious on their own or as part of a lunch box or picnic. See the serving ideas below and assemble when you are ready to eat it.
Serve in a whole wheat pita with freshly chopped, seasonal salad ingredients.
1 x 410 g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
1 small onion, grated
2 tsp (10 ml) grated lemon rind
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
2 tsp (10 ml) ground cumin
2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
½-1 tsp (2,5-5 ml) mild curry powder
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley or coriander
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried origanum
2 tbsp (30 ml) wholewheat flour
1 egg, beaten
¼ tsp (1,2 ml) salt
black pepper to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower or olive oil for frying
- Place all the ingredients, except the oil, in a mixing bowl. Mash with a fork or a potato masher until smoother. Season with pepper and more lemon juice if preferred.
- Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and fry until golden. Don’t press down on the mixture so that they keep their shape.
- Turn over as the mixture starts to set and fry for a few more minutes. Reduce heat and cover with a lid to allow to cook through for 1-2 minutes. Spoon out and repeat with remaining mixture and oil.
- Serve bites as part of a picnic or light lunch with lemon wedges and fresh fruit or veggies. They are delicious in a wholewheat pita or wrap with low-fat yoghurt and salad ingredients like cucumber, lettuce and red or yellow peppers. They are equally yummy hot or at room temperature.
- If the curry flavour is too strong for your taste, substitute the curry powder with dried mixed herbs.
- Make a double batch of this recipe and keep for lunch boxes or as snacks for up to 3 days.