Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Recipe adapted from Cooking from the heart 3
Ready in 45 minutes
Shop-bought dressings and marinades can be high in hidden sugar, salt and fat. Therefore, homemade is best, as you can control what and how much of it you add. This dressing is great with a salad or use it to marinate, roast or pan-fry meat and chicken, as in this recipe. Vegetables can also be prepared with the dressing. See more tips below.
Serve in a whole wheat pita with freshly chopped, seasonal salad ingredients.
4 tsp (20 ml) olive or canola oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic or red wine vinegar
½ tbsp (7,5 ml) lemon juice
1 tsp (5 ml) chopped fresh rosemary or thyme
½ tsp (2,5 ml) mild mustard
black pepper to taste
4 chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
extra olive or canola oil to fry
- Dressing: Mix all the ingredients together and season with black pepper.
- Chicken: Place chicken in a shallow dish and pour dressing over. Allow to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan and fry chicken strips on all sides until golden brown, but not cooked. Season chicken with a pinch of salt.
- Reduce the heat, add the dressing and cover with a lid. Simmer for 1-2 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked, but not dry. Remove from the pan and allow to cool in the pan juices.
- Serve chicken strips with wholewheat pitas, salad ingredients, lettuce and a dip or spread of your choice, like the Roasted chickpea dip for a picnic. Veggie sticks like red pepper, celery, carrot, cucumber and snap peas will be delicious.
- Use the dressing as a marinade for fish portions, pork or lamb chops (excess fat removed).
- Salad ingredients, like cucumber, green beans, tomatoes and even broccoli will be delicious with this dressing. Or serve over lightly cooked green veggies.
- Toss butternut, baby marrows or veggies of your choice in the dressing and roast at 180 ˚C.