Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Recipe from Cooking from the heart 2
Ready in 30 minutes
We all love chocolate, but know that too much is not good for us. In this treat, we combine dark chocolate with dates to make a healthier alternative for a picnic basket or as a sweet treat.
½ x 80 g slab dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1 tbsp (15 ml) cocoa
3 tbsp (45 ml) low-fat milk
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
250 g pitted dates, finely chopped
100 ml desiccated coconut
extra coconut and cocoa to decorate with
- Place chocolate in a glass bowl and melt over gently simmering water. Make sure that the bowl does not touch the water.
- Mix cocoa with some of the milk to form a paste and mix with remaining milk and vanilla. Stir some of the melted chocolate into the milk mixture until smooth. Mix into the warm chocolate.
- Stir in dates and coconut. Allow to cool slightly and then roll into balls. Roll balls into extra coconut or cocoa.
- Allow to cool in the fridge and serve 1-2 balls as a treat with fresh seasonal fruit – berries are delicious with chocolate.
- If packing for a lunch box or picnic treat, make sure that it is kept in a cool place, as they may melt.
- Choose a good quality chocolate and cocoa that is low in added sugar. Check your food labels to make better choices.