Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Omelette with peas and cheese
8-10 eggs, beaten
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
black pepper to taste
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower or canola oil
⅓ cup (80 ml) frozen peas, rinsed
⅓ cup (80 ml) frozen whole kernel corn, rinsed
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
½ cup (125 ml) grated pecorino, cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- Season the eggs with salt and black pepper. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and pour the eggs into the pan, but don’t stir. Reduce the heat slightly.
- Allow eggs to set and lift cooked egg around the edges with an egg lifter, to allow raw egg to run in underneath. Continue this process until most of the egg has set, but don’t stir the eggs.
- Sprinkle the peas, corn and cheese evenly over the eggs.
- Cover with a lid for a few minutes or until the egg is just set on top.
- Lift the omelette out of the pan with an egg lifter and allow to cool slightly. Cut into wedges and pack into lunch boxes. Enjoy with fresh salad ingredients, fruit and nuts.
- Any veggies of your choice can be used for this omelette. If the veggies have lots of liquid, like mushrooms or tomatoes, first sauté them for a few minutes. Sautéed onions, baby marrows or even blanched broccoli will work well.
- Substitute cheese with a slice of feta, if preferred.