Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
- Mini meat balls
- Spicy butter bean bites
- Tuna and corn cakes
- Creamy fish spread
- Vegetarian chickpea salad
- Green salad with chicken
- Crispy chicken strips
- Crunchy lentil salad
- Roasted chickpea dip
- Quick veggie soup
- Easy tomato soup
- Sandwich with spicy tuna
- Salad sandwich
- Spinach and corn bakes
Crunchy lentil salad
Ready in 45 minutes
1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown lentils
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
2 tsp (10 ml) dried origanum
2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower or olive oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
½ tsp (2,5 ml) sugar
black pepper to taste
3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh chopped parsley
3 medium carrots, coarsely grated
2 tomatoes, halved and sliced
3 large spinach leaves, shredded
- Place lentils, half the salt and half the origanum with 3 cups (750 ml) water in a pot. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until just cooked.
- Drain lentils, rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Meanwhile, make the salad dressing. Mix remaining salt and origanum with the oil, vinegar and sugar and season with pepper.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the cold lentils and mix well. Add the dressing just before serving. Pack with some extra fruit for a filling meal.
- This salad will also be perfect for a side dish at a braai.
- Avocado will be great in this salad. When in season, cut in cubes and add at the end.