Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
- Mini meat balls
- Spicy butter bean bites
- Tuna and corn cakes
- Creamy fish spread
- Vegetarian chickpea salad
- Green salad with chicken
- Crispy chicken strips
- Crunchy lentil salad
- Roasted chickpea dip
- Quick veggie soup
- Easy tomato soup
- Sandwich with spicy tuna
- Salad sandwich
- Spinach and corn bakes
Vegetarian chickpea salad
Ready in 30 minutes
2 medium tomatoes, cubed
¼ cucumber, cubed
2 medium carrots, quartered and sliced
1 slice feta, cubed
2 x 410 g tin chickpeas or beans of your choice, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, cubed (when in season)
1 tbsp (15 ml) red or white grape vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) canola or olive oil
1 tsp (5 ml) dried or 2 tsp (10 ml) fresh thyme leaves
½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground cumin
½ tsp (2,5 ml) sugar
¼ tsp (1,2 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Mix all the salad ingredients together.
- Salad dressing: Mix all the ingredients together and season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Toss dressing through the salad. Keep the avocado separate and cut just before eating. Enjoy as a light meal or as lunch at work. Pack a portion of fruit for a more filling lunch.
- For a different flavour, use orange juice instead of the vinegar in the salad dressing. Leave out the sugar.
- This salad will be delicious with herbs like mint and parsley. Add fresh leaves to the salad just before serving.
- Beans like red kidney beans, butter beans and cannellini beans work well in this dish. Use a combination of beans and chickpeas or just beans, if preferred.