Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
- Mini meat balls
- Spicy butter bean bites
- Tuna and corn cakes
- Creamy fish spread
- Vegetarian chickpea salad
- Green salad with chicken
- Crispy chicken strips
- Crunchy lentil salad
- Roasted chickpea dip
- Quick veggie soup
- Easy tomato soup
- Sandwich with spicy tuna
- Salad sandwich
- Spinach and corn bakes
Spicy butter bean bites
Ready in 45 minutes
These vegetarian bites are packed with flavour and delicious on their own or as part of a lunch box. See the serving ideas below and assemble at work when you are ready to eat it.
1 x 410 g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
1 small onion, grated
2 tsp (10 ml) grated lemon rind
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
2 tsp (10 ml) ground cumin
2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
½-1 tsp (2,5-5 ml) mild curry powder
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley or coriander
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried origanum
2 tbsp (30 ml) wholewheat flour
1 egg, beaten
¼ tsp (1,2 ml) salt
black pepper to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower or olive oil for frying
- Place all the ingredients, except the oil, in a mixing bowl. Mash with a fork or a potato masher until smoother. Season with pepper and more lemon juice if preferred.
- Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and fry until golden. Don’t press down on the mixture so that they keep their shape.
- Turn over as the mixture starts to set and fry for a few more minutes. Reduce heat and cover with a lid to allow to cook through for a 1-2 minutes. Spoon out and repeat with remaining mixture and oil.
- Serve bites as part of a lunch box with lemon wedges and fresh fruit or veggies. They are delicious in a wholewheat pita or wrap with low-fat yoghurt and a salsa made with cucumber, tomato and red or yellow peppers. They are equally yummy hot or at room temperature.
- If the curry flavour is too strong for your kids, substitute the curry powder with dried mixed herbs.
- Make a double batch of this recipe and keep for lunch boxes or as snacks for up to 3 days.
- This recipe makes 15 bites.