Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Makes 1,2 kg (24 portions)
Ready in 1 hour
Making your own muesli is really not difficult and much more affordable than buying ready-made muesli. You can also control how much sugar, salt and oil is added.
1 kg (1 box) uncooked oats
½ cup (125 ml) raw almonds, chopped (optional)
½ cup (125 ml) sunflower seeds (optional)
5 tbsp (75 ml) sunflower oil
¼ cup (60 ml) honey or sugar
2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place oats, nuts and seeds in a large mixing bowl. Place oil and honey or sugar in a separate bowl and melt in the microwave or a small saucepan over low heat for a few minutes Stir in the vanilla.
- Mix oil mixture well into oats mixture.
- Spread oats in a single layer on the baking paper. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir through and roast for another 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.
- Serve ½ cup (125 ml) muesli per person with ¼ cup (60 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt and ½ cup (125 ml) of any fresh fruit. Add a pinch of cinnamon for more flavour.
- Use seasonal fruit: Try peaches, mangoes, grapes and berries in summer and pawpaw, banana, grapefruit, kiwi or naartjies in winter. Remember that ½ cup (125 ml) fruit is 1 portion.