Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Versatile scrambled eggs
Serves 4 – 6
Ready in 20 minutes
½ cup (125 ml) water
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
black pepper to taste
2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower or olive oil
3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh herbs of your choice, like origanum, parsley, dill or thyme
You can add 1 of any of the following:
½ cup (125 ml) grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
1 slice feta, crumbled
1 x 170 g tuna in water, drained
½ cup (125 ml) frozen peas or whole kernel corn, rinsed and patted dry
125 g mushrooms, sliced and pan-fried in a very small amount of oil
- Beat eggs with water, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the egg mixture.
- Allow egg to start setting before stirring too much. Then gently stir egg with an egg lifter, to ensure that all the raw egg is cooked. Don’t over-mix the eggs and don’t make the pan too hot, otherwise the eggs can separate quite easily. Reduce heat if necessary.
- If you want to add another ingredient from the list above, add after stirring the eggs for the first time.
- Gently stir scrambled eggs until just cooked and serve immediately. Sprinkle with herbs and black pepper and serve with a slice of wholewheat or brown toast per person and tomato slices, if preferred.
- For a delicious, yet easy seasoning, stir the chopped herbs into the egg mixture, before adding it to the pan.