Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Spicy pan breakfast
Ready in 45 minutes
5 tsp (25 ml) sunflower or canola oil
2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp (15 ml) finely grated fresh ginger
1 carrot, grated
1 baby marrow, grated
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander
1 tsp (5 ml) paprika or a pinch of cayenne pepper
1 chilli, seeded and chopped (optional)
1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Heat half of the oil over a medium heat in a large frying pan. Fry onions, garlic and ginger until soft. Add carrot and baby marrow and fry for a few minutes.
- Stir in the spices and chilli and fry until aromatic. Add tomatoes, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt, lemon juice and pepper.
- Make 6 openings in the sauce and divide the rest of the oil between these openings.
- Crack an egg into each opening and simmer with a lid for 4-5 minutes or until the yolks are cooked to your preference.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve on toast or with slices of avocado.
- Other veggies like brinjals, baby marrows or mushrooms can be fried with the onions.
- Add a tin of beans to the sauce, before adding the eggs, to make this an even more filling breakfast or light meal.