Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Ready in 40 minutes
This is a quick, yet interesting way to serves eggs for breakfast or brunch. You can prepare the veggie filling or use left-over veggies. This recipe uses no salt, as the feta adds enough of a salty flavour.
2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower or olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 baby marrows, thinly sliced
3 spinach leaves, shredded or sliced
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried origanum or 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh origanum
1 slice feta, crumbled
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil over a medium heat in a small frying pan and fry onion and baby marrows until just soft.
- Stir in spinach and herbs and fry until spinach has just wilted. Remove from the heat, stir in half of the feta and season to taste with lemon juice and pepper.
- Divide mixture between 6 lightly greased, ovenproof cups or ramekins (ceramic bowls). Choose cups or bowls that will fit into a saucepan or frying pan, so that it can be covered with a lid.
- Bring 2-3 cm of water in the saucepan to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Crack an egg into each cup, over veggies and sprinkle with remaining feta.
- Carefully place cups in water in the saucepan or frying pan and fill with more boiling water if necessary, so that the cups stand halfway in water.
- Cover with the lid and reduce the heat. Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes or until the egg yolks are cooked to your preference.
- Serve with black pepper and salad ingredients or a slice of wholewheat toast per person. A small portion of fruit can also be served instead of the salad ingredients.
- Any left-over veggies, meat or chicken can be spooned into the bottom of the cups or bowls. Use about 80-100 ml of filling per cup.
- Substitute the baby marrow for small broccoli florets or use 125 g mushrooms, sliced.
- Left-over or tinned fish will also be delicious. Try tuna with the baby marrows or just spoon pilchards in tomato sauce into the bottom of the cups.
- Prepare a light meal by using slightly bigger bowls and adding two eggs to each container.