Affordable, tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch and snacks – good for the whole family.
Omelette with broccoli and cheese
Ready in 30 minutes
2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower or canola oil
1 onion, sliced
100 g broccoli, cut in florets
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
6 eggs, beaten
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
⅓ cup (80 ml) grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry onion until soft.
- Add broccoli and herbs and fry for a few more minutes until broccoli is just cooked, but still crunchy.
- Season broccoli with a few drops of lemon juice and pepper.
- Beat eggs and salt together. Add remaining oil to the veggies in the pan and stir through.
- Pour eggs evenly over veggies, but don’t stir. Reduce heat slightly.
- Allow egg to set and lift cooked egg around the edges with an egg lifter, to allow raw egg to run in underneath. Continue this process until most of the egg has set, but don’t stir the eggs. Sprinkle with cheese and allow to melt slightly.
- Cover with a lid for a few minutes or until the egg is just set on top.
- Serve with salad, slices of tomato or a slice of wholewheat toast. A dollop of chutney or sweet chilli sauce will also be delicious.
- Any veggies of your choice can be used for this omelette. If the veggies have lots of liquid, like mushrooms or tomatoes, first sauté them for a few minutes, like the broccoli in step 2, otherwise it could draw water once the egg is added.
- Rocket leaves or spinach is also delicious with this omelette.
- Substitute cheddar or mozzarella cheese with a slice of feta, if preferred.