Affordable, tasty recipes for the whole family – to sustain your energy and suitable for those with diabetes.
Apple bake with mixed spice
Ready in 1 hour and 20 minutes
Carb key: less than 30 g carbs per portion
500 g sweet apples with the skin, cut into wedges
100 ml strong Rooibos tea
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
100 ml low-fat milk
1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla essence
1 tbsp (15 ml) finely grated lemon rind
¼ cup (60 ml) ground almonds
100 ml cake flour
½ tsp (2,5 ml) baking powder
1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
½ tbsp (7,5 ml) ground mixed spice
1 tsp (5 ml) icing sugar mixed with a pinch of ground mixed spice
175 ml plain low-fat yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 200 ˚C. Place apples, tea and cinnamon stick in a saucepan. Simmer for 7-10 minutes or until just tender. Spoon apples and tea into a lightly greased oven dish.
- Beat buttermilk, milk, vanilla, eggs and lemon rind together. Stir in almonds, flour, baking powder, sugar and mixed spice to form a runny batter. Pour over the apples.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
Serve immediately with a light dusting of the icing sugar and 2 tbsp (30 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt per person.
- This recipe works just as well with ripe pears.
- Note that the carb key is close to 30-40 g per portion
Energy 863 kJ
Protein 7,2 g
Fat 5,8 g
Carbohydrates 26,5 g
Salt 0,3 g