Affordable, tasty recipes for the whole family – to sustain your energy and suitable for those with diabetes.
Roasted cauliflower and broccoli
Ready in 45 minutes
Carb key: less than 30 g carbs per portion
Veggie side dish
The roasted flavour of two everyday ingredients combined with cumin makes this a special side dish. A low-carb veggie to fill your plate with.
300 g broccoli, cut into florets
300 g cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive or canola oil
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
2 tsp (10 ml) cumin seeds or 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
¼ cup (60 ml) Rooibos tea
handful fresh mint or parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200 ˚C. Place veggies in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients, except the mint or parsley.
- Toss to coat the veggies with the seasonings and place in a large oven dish.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes or until just cooked. Stir in fresh herbs and serve hot or at room temperature.
Serve as a green veggie with pan-fried, grilled or roasted fish, chicken or meat of your choice. Enjoy a big portion of this side and add a moderate portion of another starchy side dish. Choose any of the recipes from the side dish section.
- Add chickpeas to the veggies for a more filling side dish.
- Chilli or other seasonings like paprika or turmeric can be added to the veggies before roasting.
Energy 504 kJ
Protein 4,3 g
Fat 7,3 g
Carbohydrates 5,3 g
Salt 0,1 g