Affordable, tasty recipes for the whole family – to sustain your energy and suitable for those with diabetes.
Lemony brown rice
Ready in 40 minutes
Carb key: about 30-40 g carbs per portion
Starchy side dish
Brown rice has a delicious nutty flavour and is a much better carb choice as it has a slower release of energy and contains fibre. The lemony flavour makes it interesting and versatile to serve in different ways.
1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown rice
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- Peel off 4 strips of lemon rind with a vegetable peeler, take care not to peel any white pith with it.
- Squeeze out lemon juice and add with the rind, rice and salt to a pot with about 2½ cups (625 ml) water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 20-25 minutes or until cooked. Drain well. Stir in the parsley and serve immediately.
Serve a stew, mince dish or casserole on this rice instead of plain white rice. It is also great with a portion of fish or chicken. Another starch is not necessary, so fill your plate with non-starchy low-carb vegetables or a salad.
- Allow the rice to cool down completely and use as a base for a rice salad. Add any salad ingredients of your choice or add cooked chicken or lentils to make this a light meal.
- Add peas or spinach to the rice or sprinkle toasted sunflower seeds over before serving.
Energy 778 kJ
Protein 3,7 g
Fat 1,3 g
Carbohydrates 37,3 g
Salt 0,5 g