Affordable, tasty recipes for the whole family – to sustain your energy and suitable for those with diabetes.
Jacket sweet potatoes with cottage cheese
Ready in 1 hour 30 minutes
Carb key: about 30-40 g carbs per person
Starchy side dish
As delicious as traditional baked potatoes and sour cream – but without the guilt. Sweet potatoes are a better carb choice and the onions add a sweet flavour!
4 tsp (20 ml) olive or canola oil
¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
2 tbsp (30 ml) water
4 tsp (20 ml) finely grated fresh ginger
1 small chilli, seeded and chopped (optional)
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 onions, cut into wedges
6-8 (700-900 g) small sweet potatoes, in the skin
black pepper to taste
¾ cup (180 ml) plain smooth low-fat cottage cheese
handful fresh coriander leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180 ˚C.
- Mix oil, lemon juice, water, ginger, chilli and garlic in a large bowl. Add onions and sweet potatoes and toss to coat the veggies. Season with pepper.
- Place in an oven dish, with all the liquid and seasonings. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Stir onions with the pan juices into the cottage cheese. Cut a deep slit into each sweet potato and fill with about 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the mixture. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Serve with grilled or roasted fish, chicken or pork and fill your plate with any green veggies, lightly cooked and seasoned with lemon juice and black pepper. A green salad will also be delicious.
- To make wedges: Cut sweet potatoes into wedges and coat in oil mixture as above. Roast for just 30 minutes and serve with the sauce as a dip.
- Add fresh grated lemon rind to the cottage cheese for more flavour.
Energy 814 kJ
Protein 5,2 g
Fat 4,4 g
Carbohydrates 29 g
Salt 0,2 g