Affordable, tasty recipes for the whole family – to sustain your energy and suitable for those with diabetes.
Butternut and chickpea salad
Ready in 1 hour 30 minutes
Carb key: less than 30 g carbs per portion
Veggie side dish
A flavourful way to add colour and variety to your plate is to roast butternut with aromatic spices.
1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander
1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
2 tsp (10 ml) dried origanum
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
½ tsp (2,5 ml) curry powder
3 tbsp (45 ml) olive or canola oil
¼ tsp (1,2 ml) salt
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
3 tbsp (45 ml) water
500 g butternut, peeled and cubed
black pepper to taste
1 x 410 g tin chickpeas, drained
4 small spinach leaves or 2 handfuls lettuce leaves, roughly torn
- Preheat oven to 180 ˚C. Place spices, half the oil, salt, lemon juice, water and butternut in a large bowl and mix well.
- Season with black pepper and place in an oven dish. Roast for 30 minutes or until butternut is tender. Allow to cool. Stir in chickpeas.
- Spoon onto spinach or lettuce and drizzle with remaining oil. Enjoy as a salad.
Serve with oven-baked or roasted fish, chicken or meat. Fill your plate with green veggies, fruit or a tomato salad.
- Crumble 1 slice of feta over the salad for more flavour, but omit the salt.
- For added texture, serve salad with pumpkin seeds.
- The spinach can be stirred into the hot butternut to soften the leaves a little. Serve as above.
- Add any fresh ingredients of your choice like tomatoes, cucumber or green beans to the salad.
Energy 1 129 kJ
Protein 7,4 g
Fat 13,1 g
Carbohydrates 14,3 g
Salt 0,6 g