Affordable, tasty recipes for the whole family – to sustain your energy and suitable for those with diabetes.
Brown lentils with herbs
Ready in 45 minutes
Carb key: less than 30 g per portion
Starchy side dish
1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown lentils
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
1 sprig fresh rosemary or dried bay leaf
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
1 clove of garlic, whole
2 tsp (10 ml) olive or canola oil
3 ripe tomatoes, cubed
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh origanum or more parsley
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Place lentils, salt, rosemary, dried herbs and garlic in a pot with 2½ cups (625 ml) water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 30 minutes or until lentils are just soft. Drain well.
- Heat oil in the pot and fry tomatoes until just soft. Add lentils and herbs. Toss through and remove from the heat.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper.
Serve warm or at room temperature with chicken, pork or as an alternative to rice or pasta with mince. Fill your plate with another small portion of starch and any green veggies, seasoned with lemon juice and black pepper or a colourful salad.
- The clove of garlic can be removed just before serving, if preferred.
- Allow lentils to cool down and serve as a salad, as is, or with more fresh salad ingredients.
Energy 612 kJ
Protein 9 g
Fat 2 g
Carbohydrates 15,4 g
Salt 0,3 g