The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Jacqueline Jantjies
Makes 40 small cookies
Surprise your kids with these yummy cookies. They won’t even know that they are high in fibre.
¼ cup (60 ml) peanut butter
¼ cup (60 ml) soft tub margarine
¾ cup (180 ml) sugar
3 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp (45 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
2 cups (500 ml) oats
1 cup (250 ml) wholewheat flour
½ tsp (2,5 ml) bicarbonate of soda
½ cup (125 ml) raisins
½ tbsp (7,5 ml) ground cinnamon or mixed spice
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat peanut butter and margarine until well blended. Add sugar and mix well. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in milk.
- Mix oats, flour, bicarb, raisins and cinnamon. Stir into sugar mixture until well blended.
- Allow the mixture to stand for a few minutes. Roll into small balls and place on baking tray. Press down with a fork or spoon.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until light golden brown. Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container and serve as a tea-time treat.
- Substitute 3 tbsp of the flour with cocoa for a chocolate flavour.