The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Elza de Beer
Makes 12 small scones
1 cup (250 ml) wholewheat flour
1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 cup (250 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt
¼ cup (60 ml) sunflower oil
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Lightly grease a baking tray and dust with a little cake flour.
- Mix flours and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Beat egg, yoghurt and oil together.
- Stir egg mixture into the flour until it just forms a soft dough.
- Gently press dough out onto a lightly floured surface to about 2 cm thick. Take care not to handle the dough too much.
- Cut out scones using a small cookie cutter or water glass. Dip the cutter or glass in extra flour if necessary.
- Place scones on baking tray. The left-over dough can be pressed together and cut into more scones.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve with a thin layer of margarine and jam.
- A pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika can be sprinkled on top for a savoury scone.