The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Pancakes with fruit
Recipe from Pienie Steenkamp
Makes about 20 pancakes
Most families have a pancake tradition, whether it’s just because it’s raining or for a special treat.
1½ cups (375 ml) cake flour
½ cup (125 ml) wholewheat flour
2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
pinch of ground nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp (45 ml) sunflower oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) white grape vinegar
3 cups (750 ml) water
2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil for frying
- Place dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix all liquids together, except the oil for frying.
- Gradually add liquid to the dry ingredients and beat well to form a smooth batter.
- Heat some of the oil in a frying pan. Pour in just enough batter to form a thin pancake.
- Fry until set on top, turn over and fry for another minute. Keep warm and continue with remaining batter and a thin layer of oil when necessary.
- Serve with fruit, such as apples, naartjies or banana, or a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar and lemon juice.
- Cinnamon sugar: Mix a pinch of ground nutmeg, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 3 tbsp sugar.
- The mince, roasted veggies and Chicken à la king can all be enjoyed in the pancakes as a main course.
- Crumpets: Substitute water for 2 cups buttermilk and use 2 eggs instead of 3. Leave out the vinegar. Heat a thin layer of oil in a pan and spoon 2 tbsp of batter per crumpet in the pan. Fry on both sides and serve with fruit and low-fat yoghurt.
- The oil in the batter means that less oil is needed for frying.