The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Shayne Ackerman
This no-bake custard filling is delicious and easy to make.
3 tbsp (45 ml) soft tub margarine
2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground cinnamon
¾ cup (180 ml) cake flour
¼ cup (60 ml) wholewheat flour
2 cups (500 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
3 tbsp (45 ml) cornflour
½ tsp (2,5 ml) vanilla or almond essence
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cinnamon
- Crust: Preheat oven to 180 °C. Beat together the margarine and sugar. Add the egg and mix well.
- Mix cinnamon and flours together. Gradually add to the egg mixture to form a soft dough. Press the dough into a 22 cm tart or pie dish.
- Prick with a fork and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Filling: Place milk in a pot, bring to the boil and remove from heat. Beat eggs and sugar well.
- Mix cornflour with a little water to make a paste. Stir into egg mixture.
- Add half the milk into egg mixture and stir well.
- Pour egg mixture into the pot with the rest of the milk and stir well.
- Return to a low heat and stir all the time. Allow to simmer very gently until it thickens – at least 10 minutes.
- Stir vanilla in and pour into pie crust. Allow to cool and refrigerate. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.