The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Ravitha Sigamoney
8 slices day-old brown bread
¼ cup (60 ml) raisins (optional)
1 cup (250 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
3 eggs, beaten
½ tsp (2,5 ml) vanilla essence
2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground mixed spice
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
pinch of ground nutmeg
2 tbsp (30 ml) apricot jam
- Cut each slice of bread into 4 triangles.
- Pack the triangles in rows in an oven dish. Sprinkle raisins in between.
- Mix milk, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and sugar together. Add mixed spice and cinnamon.
- Spoon milk mixture over the bread and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 °C. Sprinkle nutmeg over the bread and dot with apricot jam.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Add ¼ cup of chopped nuts with the raisins.
- Serve with a small portion of homemade custard made with low-fat or fat-free milk and a little sugar.