The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Hearty bean soup
Recipe from Hilda Williams
The dried beans, lentils and veggies make this a filling soup for winter. Beans and lentils are a healthy source of protein.
1 cup (250 ml) dried sugar beans
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
8 cups (2 litres) Homemade stock or water with 3 tbsp dried mixed herbs
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown lentils
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
2 cups (500 ml) thinly sliced cabbage or spinach
¼ cup (60 ml) chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Soak beans in 1 litre of water overnight. Rinse and drain.
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry carrots, onion and garlic.
- Stir in the stock, dried herbs, lentils and beans.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat. Simmer with a lid for 1½-2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and cabbage and simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley, sugar and salt.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Only add the tomatoes after the beans are cooked, otherwise they will prevent the beans from softening.