The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Spicy red lentil and vegetable soup
Recipe from Delicia Czech
Serves 6 – 8
Remember that red lentils cook in 20 minutes, making this a quick soup.
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
2 large onions, chopped
2 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground coriander
4 tsp (20 ml) ground cumin
2 tsp (10 ml) curry powder or to taste
8 cups (2 litres) water
1 cup (250 ml) uncooked red lentils
3 carrots, coarsely grated
2 potatoes, peeled and grated
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh mint
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley or coriander
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onions, ginger and spices.
- Add water, lentils, carrots and potatoes.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Add tomatoes, herbs and salt and heat through.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper and remember not to add extra salt at the table.