The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Mariam Jaffar
Mariam says that her recipe has been in the family for years and is perfect for a special occasion. The homemade stock is delicious and contains no added salt.
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
500 g mushrooms, sliced
½ tsp (2,5 ml) curry powder or to taste
¼ cup (60 ml) cake flour
4 cups (1 litre) Homemade stock or water with 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
1 cup (250 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley or thyme
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add mushrooms and curry powder and fry until golden brown.
- Stir in the flour until well blended.
- Add stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the milk. Season with lemon juice and pepper and stir in parsley.
- Serve soup on its own or with 1-2 slices of brown or wholewheat bread per person as a main meal.
- If you prefer, this soup can be blended or liquidised.
- Broccoli soup: Replace the mushrooms with broccoli and simmer until the broccoli is tender, but still bright green in colour. Serve as above.
- Budget tip: Substitute half of the mushrooms with 2-3 potatoes, peeled and chopped.