The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Vegetable soup with mince
Recipe from Hettie Little
Serves 8 – 10
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
250 g lean beef mince
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) paprika
2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcester sauce
2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, grated
3 celery stalks with leaves, roughly chopped
4 cups (1 litre) Homemade stock or water with 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
8 cups (2 litres) water
½ x 500 g packet dried soup mix
2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
2 tsp (10 ml) garam masala
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Heat half the oil in a large pot and fry mince until golden brown. Spoon mince out and drain off any excess fat.
- Add rest of the oil and fry onion and garlic in the same pot with paprika, coriander and herbs.
- Add mince and Worcester sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except the garam masala, lemon juice and pepper. Stir well.
- Simmer, with a lid, over a low heat for about 2 hours or until the soup mix is cooked and the soup is thick. Stir every now and then.
- Add the remaining ingredients and serve warm.
- Enjoy left-overs for lunch the next day, or freeze for another meal.
- Pea soup: Replace soup mix with dried split peas.
- Stir in thinly shredded cabbage or spinach at the end of the cooking time.