The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Chicken and corn soup
Recipe from Fazlin Sandan
Serves 6 – 8
This family recipe is a very popular meal with both kids and grown-ups.
2 chicken breasts on the bone, skin and all fat removed
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
2 onions, chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
4 cups (1 litre) water
2 tbsp (30 ml) dried mixed herbs
1 cup (250 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
1 cup (250 ml) frozen whole kernel corn, rinsed (optional)
1 x 410 g tin cream style sweetcorn
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Cut chicken breasts in half with kitchen scissors or a sharp knife.
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry chicken, onions and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add potatoes, cumin, ground coriander, water and dried herbs. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Spoon out the chicken. Remove bones and shred meat.
- Stir chicken, milk, corn and sweetcorn into the soup and heat through.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper. Stir in fresh herbs and serve.
- Remember that the tinned sweetcorn contains salt, so don’t add salt at the table.
- Fish soup: Replace the chicken with left-over fish or hake. Stir into soup at step 5.