The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Homemade chicken stock
Recipe from Thabisa Dingiswayo
Makes about 1 litre
This tasty stock can be used to flavour soups, stews or any other dish that requires stock. Shop-bought stocks are often very salty, so rather make your own. It is also a great way to use the chicken carcasses that you would normally throw away.
1 cooked chicken carcass or bones from 4-6 portions
1 large carrot, quartered
1 large onion, quartered
1 celery stalk with leaves, quartered
6 cups (1,5 litres) water
2 sprigs parsley
2 bay leaves
3 whole cloves
5 black peppercorns
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer without a lid for 45 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Pour the stock through a sieve or spoon out veggies, herbs, spices and bones.
- Use stock according to the recipe or cool completely and refrigerate for 2-3 days. Alternatively, freeze and use instead of bought stock.
- Use fish heads or double the veggies to cook fish or vegetable stock.
- Add any other whole spices or a slice of fresh ginger, 2-3 cloves of garlic, a cinnamon stick or curry leaves for more flavour.